Politcs

Trump’s campaign manager just gave working mothers some truly revolting advice

Trump’s former campaign manager Kellyanne Conway told an audience that mothers should shy away from high-powered career opportunities. She went on to elaborate that the standard doesn’t apply to fathers, who can handle juggling family and a demanding work schedule.

Conway offered her insights at Politico’s “Women Rule” event Wednesday. The first woman to successfully run a presidential campaign told the audience it would be impossible for her to serve in the Trump White House and continue to be a good mother to her four young children.

Conway at the Politico event:

“I do politely mention to them the question isn’t would you take the job, the male sitting across from me who’s going to take a big job in the White House. The question is would you want your wife to,” Conway said, describing conversations she’s had with male colleagues. “Would you want the mother of your children to? You really see their entire visage change. It’s like, oh, no, they wouldn’t want their wife to take that job.”

Mothers and fathers are entitled to prioritize their families over time-intensive work opportunities. Working in the White House is an honor that undeniably takes an incredible amount of dedication and long hours at the office. Where Conway gets it wrong is assuming that mothers are responsible for limiting their career opportunities to provide care for their families. Her statement implies that that no good mother should ever consider leaving her children behind for professional pursuits.

After her remarks at the Politico event, current senior advisor Valerie Jarrett approached Conway backstage and encouraged her to at least give working in the White House a shot. “I think tone starts at the top, and if you have a relationship with your boss such that you can say, ‘Look, this is a top priority. There’s nothing more important for me than being a good mom, but I think I can be a good mom and have the flexibility enough to do this job well,’ ” Jarrett said before adding, “Plus, you can always leave if it doesn’t work out.” (Words of wisdom for anyone considering a job offer.)

23 Comments

23 Comments

1. x

December 8, 2016 at 7:02 pm

One hundred percent behind my wife for what she wants to do. No wonder he has not offered you a cabinet postion!

• Paula

December 9, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Wake up and smell the coffee it is woman like you who have held woman to a lower standard …I juggled my career and family with the help of a wonderful husband… A woman can do anything …….I think you have been hanging out with Trump to long……So you think you should go back to baking cookies…..I don t think so…….

2. shirley

December 8, 2016 at 7:29 pm

That includes her. She needs to quit her job and become a house wife..She is not very good at it anyway and a man would do such a better job.. HA HA

3. Barbara Wilson

December 8, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I’ve had enough of Conway during the election season. Please don’t encourage her to take a position in the White House.

4. Sandy Palmer

December 8, 2016 at 7:43 pm

This seems to reflect the thinking of VP-Elect Gov Pence, who one said working mothers damage their children emotionally. Unfortunately, if you are a single mother the law requires you to work to even get basic benefits for your children. Once again, all the child rearing falls on the mothers, but no GOP support for sick time, flexible hours, paid maternity leave, affordable child care and reasonable family medical coverage through all employers. Male Chauvinism Rules.

5. Al

December 8, 2016 at 7:44 pm

It is astonishing how much of that scumbag Drumph has rubbed off on her. I think she has lost herself.

6. Annie

December 8, 2016 at 8:20 pm

What year is this?

7. Linda

December 8, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Well Kellyanne, this is 2016 and there are plenty of relationships where the man, or partner chooses to be the stay at home parent. Why is it that the republican party seems to be stuck in the past?

8. Owlisen

December 8, 2016 at 9:59 pm

How f..ing stupid can you be ???

There are a lot of women that would qualify for any position in the US Government…
    It sounds like she thinks that women are the softer sex… come on, we don’t live in the 30-40s anymore.

9. Carol

December 8, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Of course, there’s always living indoors and eating food (family issues) which often keeps the parents from even asking such a stupid question.

• Benita

December 10, 2016 at 5:36 pm

And if you really want to live large you can have heat and electricity.

10. Lala

December 8, 2016 at 10:12 pm

WOW!

11. Deborah Berdine

December 9, 2016 at 12:11 am

This woman has lost her tiny little mind.

12. joan bowman

December 9, 2016 at 12:13 am

I don’t think Kellyann wants to continue to work for Trump and is using this as an excuse.

• Benita

December 10, 2016 at 5:39 pm

I think she is still hoping for a job in his administration.

13. Shelleybe

December 9, 2016 at 1:15 am

Doesn’t this moron have children?

• Lacey Dickinson

December 9, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Yes, she has 4 children under the age of 12.

• Bennie

December 10, 2016 at 3:08 am

Yes she does! I wonder how her husband feels about her being away from their kids for such an extended period of time? Either he loves the added salary (of which she says women should not be working to receive); or he is ecstatic that she is away from home. She doesn’t look as perky as she did when she first came on board. Mrs. Conway, your children need you! Go home!

14. kimbee

December 9, 2016 at 1:42 am

I agree with Kellyanne. Look parenting is not a lifetime job. It takes time to properly raise a decent human being. Look at Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. She didn’t start working until her children where over 18 years old. Then when you ascend the heights of success you won’t have the lack of parenting when your children embarass you.

15. WILMA SOSA-LOPEZ

December 9, 2016 at 2:46 am

This woman has prehistoric views. Sorry, I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

16. JackSmits

December 9, 2016 at 5:09 am

such is the life and ways of the hypocritically challenged KellyAnne Conway

17. Thats Right

December 10, 2016 at 1:08 am

I think everyone is sick of her and she found this as her way out while saving face.

18. joe finoro

December 10, 2016 at 1:42 am

I think she making an excuse to cover that she wasn’t chosen to be part of trumps administration team. I don’t blame her. I’m no supporter of trump but she turned his campaign around and this is how he repays her. I think she just trying to be classy and not show her disappointment, hats off to you kellyanne .. you deserve a lot better than trump