Happy Birthday Emma Watson! Can you imagine a world without the Harry Potter genius who has made it her mission in life to achieve equality across the world? No one wants to. In her year-long sabbatical from acting, Watson is traveling the world as a badass activist for the United Nations HeforShe campaign.
Here are the top 10 quotes that will make you feel empowered and inspired.
1. “I want men to take up this mantle. So their daughters, sisters and mothers can be free from prejudice, but also so that their sons have permission to be vulnerable and human too — reclaim those parts of themselves they abandoned and in doing so be a more true and complete version of themselves,” she said at the U.N. headquarters in New York City on Saturday.
2. “We are not supposed to talk about money, because people will think you’re ‘difficult’ or a ‘diva.’ But there’s a willingness now to be like, ‘Fine. Call me a ‘diva’, call me a ‘feminazi’, call me ‘difficult,’ call me a ‘First World feminist’, call me whatever you want, it’s not going to stop me from trying to do the right thing and make sure that the right thing happens.” -Emma in Esquire.
3. “I’m a feminist, but I think that romance has been taken away a bit for my generation. I think what people connect with in novels is this idea of an overpowering, encompassing love — and it being more important and special than anything and everything else. I would love to not date someone in the same industry as me. Otherwise it becomes what it means to everyone else.” -She said in 2011 Vogue.
4. “I was appointed six months ago, and the more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.” -During an event for the HeForShe in September 2014.
5. “I think it is right I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decisions that will affect my life. I think it is right that socially, I am afforded the same respect as men.” During her UN speech.
6. “For the record, feminism by definition is: ‘The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.'”
7. “I feel like young girls are told that they have to be a princess and fragile. It’s bullsh*t. I identify much more with being a warrior — a fighter. If I was going to be a princess, I’d be a warrior princess. Definitely.” -She said in a 2011 press conference.
8. “If I had it my way, I would have just kept it short forever. Of course, men like long hair. There’s no two ways about it. The majority of the boys around me were like, ‘Why did you do that? That’s such an error.’ And I was like, ‘Well, honestly, I don’t really care what you think!’ I’ve never felt so confident as I did with short hair — I felt really good in my own skin.” – Via Glamour magazine.
9. “Even worse than seeing women’s privacy violated on social media is reading the accompanying comments that show such a lack of empathy.” -Emma Watson via Twitter.
10. “It makes me sad to hear girls constantly putting themselves down. We have these unbelievably high expectations of ourselves, when actually we’re human beings and our bodies have a function.” -Emma Watson talks to Glamour
Featured image via Wikimedia Commons.